Tuesday, October 28, 2014

How are you doing?

So, how are you doing? That is a question that is repeatedly asked to us.  It is a good question and is asked with sincerity and concern. We appreciate that people care enough to ask. However, it is hard because it brings us back to the reality of our emotions.  Often times we know to give the answer "good", and that isn't just the correct answer, but a true answer.  We are doing good.  It could be so much worse. We could be trapped in quarantine for 21 days, we could've been exposed to Ebola, we could've gotten Ebola and worse than all that, Ebola could've been in Guinea Bissau and our friends could've been exposed. Praise God that none of that has happened and we keep praying against it entering Guinea Bissau. It is a blessing to be in God's care and in His arms and to know that our life is in His will.  With that being said, it is still difficult.  This is not what we planned, not what we expected and not at all what we want...but isn't that what our christian life should be, nothing that we planned, expected or wanted?

Recently I met with a friend that pointed me toward Psalm 16.  This morning I wanted to read the entire chapter (it's incredibly short with only 11 verses), but I only made it through the first two verses.  

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."   Psalm 16:1-2

When I read the first verse, I was thinking, "Yep, in God only do I take my refuge, mhmm that's true.", but then I read the commentary.  My ESV Study Bible commentary says, "The Lord is the only one on whom the psalmist relies for well-being". Is the Lord really the only one on whom I rely on for my well-being? I think yes, but then the second verse got me.  "You are my Lord, I have no good apart from you." There is nothing in me that is good without God. That is a truth, but do we believe that wholeheartedly? 

This entire experience of being evacuated out of our serving country to be in America until it is God's timing for us to return has been an emotional roller coaster. Our faith is strong, our love for God is strong, but we have been wondering what in the world is God doing?  We know that God will reveal it to us when His timing is perfect, but waiting is hard. We have many questions that we know God will answer one day, and some he may never answer. 

Our faith is what keeps us answering all those questions from caring and loving people with "We are doing good.", because when you have God, EVERYTHING is good.  We want to thank you for asking us "How are you doing?" and please keep asking.  If God has put it on your tongue to ask us, then He wants you to ask. We have felt loved and prayed over through this whole process. Our God is a big God and He cares for all of us so much.  We have an amazing support around us and we praise God daily for all of you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment